Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wow

Buzz Staff
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Default Re: Wow

Problem I have with cdj's (and I own 2 of them myself and have done for many many years) is that music is too readily available for everyone. Back in the 90's when I first got decks if you wanted to play the music you had to source and buy the record and I like that because it means people have different music potentially to other people and I used to enjoy the whole hunting process standing in a record shop for an hour in front of a turntable with a huge stack of records skipping through trying to look outside the box and find stuff you aint heard anybody else play. When downloads came in and that and people started ripping vinyl and uploading it onto the internet imo it belittles peoples collections and the effort they've gone to in actually building their collection. A kid can come along who's only had decks for a matter of months and have pretty much all the stuff I've got but it's took me 20+ years to get it all. Technology is good but at the same time annoying in some respects.
    Last edited by JTS; 7th October 2015 at 01:36 PM. Reason: crap typing
    ".....it's too late to change events, it's time to face the consequence....."

Fuck yo couch nigga kicky crowbar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davey-1985 View Post
    I’m not against people using CDJs. I completely understand why they took over vinyl. I got my first CDJ around 2005 so definitely not stuck in the past as far as the technology is concerned.

If someone plays a good set (i.e. good music, well structured) I couldn’t care less what format they use, be it vinyl, CD / MP3 or straight from their laptop. The problem is that CDJs and perhaps more specifically the easy production of music that goes with them allows people to get away with playing shit music.

I honestly don’t see how someone could listen to that set in the first post and thinks it sounds good, it’s just utter shit, pure musical aids, and as I said I’m someone who likes all different kinds of music.
    I'm the same when I see people share videos from Ibiza on Facebook playing that deep house shite ( well I think that's what it is anyway ) honestly my idea of hell

3. Likes S-Y-K-E Liked
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JTS View Post
    Problem I have with cdj's (and I own 2 of them myself and have done for many many years) is that music is too readily available for everyone. Back in the 90's when I first got decks if you wanted to play the music you had to source and buy the record and I like that because it means people have different music potentially to other people and I used to enjoy the whole hunting process standing in a record shop for an hour in front of a turntable with a huge stack of records skipping through trying to look outside the box and find stuff you aint heard anybody else play. When downloads came in and that and people started ripping vinyl and uploading it onto the internet imo it belittles peoples collections and the effort they've gone to in actually building their collection. A kid can come along who's only had decks for a matter of months and have pretty much all the stuff I've got but it's took me 20+ years to get it all. Technology is good but at the same time annoying in some respects.

Aye that's another thing I was going to say in my last post but couldn't be arsed to type out. For someone to be a DJ with vinyl you're looking at them owning hundreds, maybe thousands of records. That alone proves they have a real interest in music because it's a lot of effort to get the collection together. With digital you could buy a laptop on a Friday morning and download enough tunes for a weekend's worth of sets by Friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by kicky crowbar View Post
    I'm the same when I see people share videos from Ibiza on Facebook playing that deep house shite ( well I think that's what it is anyway ) honestly my idea of hell
    I watched some of the Radio 1 in Ibiza thing this summer and everyone looked bored out their minds. But then people were texting / tweeting live saying how banging it looked so maybe that's just how all clubbing is these days.
    Records for sale: HERE

:582:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Aye that's another thing I was going to say in my last post but couldn't be arsed to type out. For someone to be a DJ with vinyl you're looking at them owning hundreds, maybe thousands of records. That alone proves they have a real interest in music because it's a lot of effort to get the collection together. With digital you could buy a laptop on a Friday morning and download enough tunes for a weekend's worth of sets by Friday night.
    Sounds like your describing collectors and DJ enthusiasts.. collection size doesn't fill dance doors. Thats the beauty of digital.. opening up a world of music for all to be enjoyed at the click of a button, obviously the purists will prefer vinyl but having the digital option is amazing in my opinion... I can play 4/5 different genre sets, couldn't with vinyl. I should point out i prefer vinyl all the way, i mix on 1210s, but i absolutely love what going digital has given us.

I watched some of the Radio 1 in Ibiza thing this summer and everyone looked bored out their minds. But then people were texting / tweeting live saying how banging it looked so maybe that's just how all clubbing is these days.
    Problem with these clips that are being shared it's like 7-8am in the morning in ibiza people probably been on it for 24 hours+ they're hardly going to be going ballistic, and it's not that style of music anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deejayy View Post
    Sounds like your describing collectors and DJ enthusiasts.. collection size doesn't fill dance doors. Thats the beauty of digital.. opening up a world of music for all to be enjoyed at the click of a button, obviously the purists will prefer vinyl but having the digital option is amazing in my opinion... I can play 4/5 different genre sets, couldn't with vinyl. I should point out i prefer vinyl all the way, i mix on 1210s, but i absolutely love what going digital has given us.

Not at all, I’ve already said I don’t care either way whether someone uses vinyl or not as long as they play good music. I do personally prefer using vinyl, but that’s just because I find it more fun than using CDJs because it’s more hands on. If I DJ’d in clubs I would almost certainly use CDJs because of how much more convenient it is.

My point was just that someone having a big record collection shows that they have a long-term passion for music. The more music you know the more good music you’re likely to know so in that sense I think having a big collection does fill dancefloors.

I agree that digital opens up a wider choice of music and I think that’s a good thing, there are some people who make good use of the technology and again I think that’s a good thing. The problem is that by making it so accessible you don’t need to have that passion for music to become a DJ anymore. That recent film ‘We Are Your Friends’ is a perfect example of the kind of thing I’m on about. The tagline was something like “to be a DJ all you need is a laptop and a song”. (I know it’s just a stupid little film but it does represent some aspects of electronic music today.)

I think Carl Cox has something like 50,000 records, he’s been buying them since the early 80’s and there’s no way you could accuse someone like him of not being passionate about music. Maybe some of the new generation of laptop DJs are as passionate about music as the likes of him, but a lot of them won’t be (hence all the shit music they play).
    Records for sale: HERE

:582:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I jus searched for carl cox after reading that about him having 50,000 records and come across this short interview where he touches upon what your saying about tracks just being banged out quickly as mp3s...

Itís a good 20-25 years since you started. How has your own relationship with music changed in that time, and how have you changed as a person and a DJ?

More than anything else, I think Iíve managed to get back to who I was as a person. More than anything I love music, and I love peopleÖ when they make a track, when you hear that track for the first time and you know itís the result of months spent in the studio creating that record. Rather than Ďright, Iíve got three hours to make a tuneí, then bang, itís on YouTube, next thing all the right DJs are playing it. Whereís the soul and the love and the passion going into that? Thereís isnít [any]. Itís just Ďif you make this, people will danceí. And thatís OK, if you want to get to the next stage of your career very quickly, but nothing stands out as a classic Ė nothing gets nurtured into the sort of track where you remember where you were the first time you heard it. I suppose for me, I am 52 years old nearly Ė thatís three decades as a DJ, and Iím still as passionate about it as I ever was, but most of the people Iím sharing bills will now werenít born when I started, so theyíre not gonna know what it was like for me when I started.
    http://www.factmag.com/2014/03/13/ca...needs-is-more/

:053:

Beginner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah Juicy M loves a good pre-recorded set!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12